OMSA will be hosting a launch celebration of the month on September 22 from 3-5:30 p.m. at the OMSA office in Suite 215 of the University Student Commons. The event will include light refreshments, music and community.
Other events related to Latin Heritage Month include:
- ¡Muevete! : Latin Dance Nights will be held every Thursday through October 13 from 6-7 p.m. in Monroe Park. Each night will feature different Latinx inspired dances.
- Bingo Night Activities Schedule Chart in conjunction with the Latin Student Association on September 22 at 6 p.m. in the Commons Ballroom.
- Well-being workshop: understanding Latin culture September 26 at noon at Snead Hall, room B3187.
- Diversity Careers and Internships Fair September 28 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Richmond Lounges and Commonwealth Ballroom at the University Student Commons.
- Cultural conversations with La Salle University, Oaxaca, Mexico Oct. 3 and 10 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Zoom. Cultural Conversations engages VCU students with peers from international partner institutions in weekly Zoom-guided gatherings.
- she October 4 from noon to 1 p.m., both in the SGA Senate Chambers, University Student Commons and on Zoom. Hear from a Queer + Latina couple about their journey of self-discovery, acceptance, and pride.
- Latin Voices of Recovery – Rams in Recovery Speaker Series on October 4 at 7 p.m., both in the Academic Learning Commons 1201 and on Zoom.
- Afro-Colombian representation in the film “Encanto”, at noon September 30 on Zoom.
- Paddling in Latin calm waters October 5. This event is organized in conjunction with OMSA and is offered specifically to Latinx-identifying students and members of RecWell, and will be led by Latinx-identifying Outdoor Adventure Program staff.
- Bishop Walter F. Sullivan Lecture Series: Guest speaker William Calvo-Quiros of the University of Michigan will speak on the topic “Saints Among Us: Migrating Devotions Among Latinx” on Zoom at 4 p.m. on October 5.
- Being My Own Boss: The Queer Latin Edition Oct. 6 at OMSA offices at 5 p.m. Will feature musical conversations and performances with Reina Violeta, aka MusiqReiV, and Alex Dimas.
- Connect through the traditional music of Mexico October 11 at 6 p.m. on Zoom. The Office of Global Education will host special cultural conversations to learn about traditional Mexican music and culture through a choir performance combined with visuals and dance. The event will include a post-concert discussion.
- ¡Virginia Fiesta! Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration October 15 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Science Museum of Virginia. The celebration will include tributes to individuals who have helped advance Latino/Hispanic communities in Virginia.
For more information, visit https://linktr.ee/vcuomsa.
Subscribe to VCU News
Subscribe to VCU News at newsletter.vcu.edu and get select stories, videos, photos, news clips and event listings delivered to your inbox.